can dogs eat grapes
Maltese dog with foods that are bad for him

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? What You Need To Know

Most dogs will eat anything you give them whether it’s good for them or not. Some people are like this too. To some extent this accounts for the fact that more than two thirds of American adults are overweight or obese.

Anyway I digress. The simple truth is that our best buddies rely on us to regulate the amount and content of what they eat. Don’t regulate and your dog will become fat which can lead to health problems such as arthritis, diabetes and pancreatitis. And giving them titbits if that titbit is grapes, raisins, currants or sultanas can prove fatal.

The fact is that all grapes and their dried counterparts – raisins, currants and sultanas are extremely toxic to our canine companions.

The strange thing is scientists don’t know why.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER ADVERTISEMENT
Tractive

Another factor that baffles the scientists is that eating just one grape for some dogs can prove fatal and others can eat six and suffer no ill effects!

Clearly you cannot play Russian Roulette with your best friend’s life. So it’s better to avoid grapes and their dried counterparts altogether!

How To Tell If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

With the best will in the world, accidents do happen. A family member could drop a grape or could be making fruit scones and drop a raisin. As you know it doesn’t take a dog long to seize the opportunity and pounce! Your dog may be one of the lucky ones that suffers no ill effects. However it’s as well to keep an eye on them just in case they are not.

If your dog has eaten grapes or their dried equivalents and he has suffered a toxic reaction, the most common signs of this are sickness and diarrhoea. You need to get him to your vet immediately if your dog is having difficulty breathing, is unconscious or in shock.

According to the American Kennel Club here are the signs and symptoms that may occur after a toxic ingestion:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
  • Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
  • Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately.
  • Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
  • Kidney failure (which can be fatal)

How to Prevent Your Dog From Eating Food That’s Toxic

Prevention is always a better option than a cure so make sure you take the following precautions:

  • Make up a list of all foods that are toxic to dogs and place it on your kitchen wall for all to see.
  • Make sure all your family members, friends etc know which foods are on your toxic list.
  • Don’t buy foods that are toxic to your dog or if you must make sure your dog cannot reach them by storing in a locked kitchen cupboard.
  • Don’t allow your dog in the kitchen at all especially if you are making things with ingredients that are toxic to your dog.
  • Make it clear to your family and friends that you would rather they didn’t give your dog treats.

FOR US RESIDENTS ONLY
Let Us Worry About the Vet Bills - Embrace Pet Insuranceblank

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here