Dog Ownership Is A Big Responsibility
Whether you already have a dog or are just looking for one, it is likely that you are aware of the care required by dog ownership. This is not something you can just jump into with no information. The tips presented here will help you by showing you how to take good care of your dog and make you a better owner.
Some Things To Watch Out For
- You may know that chocolate is dangerous for dogs, but you may not know the specifics. Chocolate is dangerous because of the stimulants caffeine and theobromine. Baking chocolate is the most dangerous, with a high amount of stimulants. White chocolate contains the least amount of stimulants. Take you dog to vet if he ingests chocolate.
- Keep on top of fleas. Not only can fleas cause infection in your dog, if one is swallowed, your pet can get tapeworms as well. Speak to your veterinarian about the best prevention method, but remember that this is not a one shot deal. You will have to continue your efforts over the life of your pet.
- If your dog is very rowdy or easily excitable, experts recommend that you don’t bring them along on vacation. Many times the thrill and confusion of a new area filled with strangers is too much for the hyper dog and unpleasant incidents may occur. Find a great kennel to care for your pooch instead.
- If you are interested in providing your dog with the healthiest of diets and making positive contributions to the earth’s environment, make his food from scratch. You can buy locally grown organic ingredients and provide him all the proteins, carbs and fats he needs with no preservatives while reducing the waste from packaging as well.
- Pick and choose when you are going to groom your dog. You do not want to attempt grooming when your pet is in a particularly frisky mood, because the process will not go well. Instead, do so only when your dog is calm and tired, like after you have taken him for an especially long walk.
- Genuine meat bones may be tempting, but it’s best to stick to rawhide. Bones can chip and hurt your dog if sharp fragments are ingested. Rawhide is completely healthy and improves the teeth, and therefore is preferable to animal bones.
It should be easy to take good care of your dog if you follow the tips presented here. With a lot of love and patience your dog will be happy and healthy. Keep educating yourself to discover more ways to improve your dog’s life and make your time together more enjoyable.